Ragdolls are one of the most popular domesticated cat breeds deemed for their exquisite appearance and social skills. They are premium quality cats with stunning blue eyes and a beautiful silky coat. Besides, they are intelligent, loyal, and cuddly with an amiable disposition.
Ragdolls are one of the highest-priced cats in the world. Depending on its pedigree, breed, and show quality, its price varies from a hundred to a thousand dollars. But why they are so expensive?
Ragdoll cats are very expensive because of their rare availability and the time it takes to develop unique qualities in them. The price goes up as breeders have to go through a high maintenance process in order to develop special characteristics in ragdoll cats.
Buying one could burn a hole in your budget if you are not aware of the long-term costs involved.
Normal ragdoll costs anywhere between $700 and $1500. But if it is a show-quality cat from very high-titled breeding lines, the price might go up to $2000 or more.
No wonder that its uniqueness accounts for its high price.
Ragdolls are not easily available as other popular show-quality cats. To develop unique qualities in them, breeders require special expertise. Also, obtaining pure breeds with zero – infection requires a great amount of time and money.
Getting the breeding patent from an acclaimed breeder, nurturing them until they are healthy, giving vaccinations on time, veterinary costs, food, and supplements are not cheap. So, generally, the price depends on the breeder’s cost.
If you are buying your ragdoll from a well-known cattery or cat breeder, you can ask for breeding rights by paying extra money.
If you want to bag one for cheaper rates, search in the nearby animal shelters or rescue homes. You might get it for a hundred dollars, but you won’t be able to know if it is purebred or not.
Before buying, ensure that your kitten is a full-bred ragdoll. To bring new colors and patterns, breeders outcross it with other potential cat breeds. But to be a full-bred ragdoll, it should be four generations away from the out-cross. If it is less than that, it is reflected in the price of the cats.
Average Cost Of Owning A Ragdoll Cat
The cost of owning a ragdoll cat includes meeting its food requirements, vaccination, veterinary costs, and grooming.
Veterinary expenses cover a major chunk of ragdoll expenses. They include,
- Wellness checks and routine tests: Apart from regular wellness checks, including blood tests, parasite Testing, FIV, and FeLV testing are done once a year to check for potential infections. It could cost around $300 to $500 for one test. Worming should be done once every three months, which will cost a minimum of $40. Tick and flea treatments costs between $35 to $40 per visit. 
- Vaccinations: Initial vaccinations are usually in the range of $100 to $200.
- Spaying and neutering: You needn’t worry about these expenses if your breeder has already done it. If not, it will cost you around $450 to $750 in a vet clinic.
- Dental cleaning: To protect them from resorption and tooth decay, regular dental cleanings are essential. Proper teeth checkup at least once a year is recommended. If dental health worsens, surgery is your last resort, and it costs more than $1000.
- Cat health insurance and emergency expenses: Do not hesitate to take insurance for your cat because it will cover your cats’ unexpected needs. Sometimes the hospital bills could burn a hole in your pocket, so getting insurance is a cautious move. Also, save a small fund for unexpected expenses, including accidents, sudden illness, skin diseases, etc., could go up to $1000.
Food And Grooming Costs
Maintaining the good health of your cat requires paying attention to its food and grooming needs.
- Food: Food costs vary depending on whether you buy packed food or grains, or It could be anywhere between $50 to $100.
- Litter: The expenses depend on the type of cat litter that you are buying. It varies between $50 to $100. If you invest in a litter box, you can escape from monthly litter expenses—a liter box costs around $500.
- Lint roller brushes: The silky coat of your ragdoll needs lint roller brushes for coat brushing. It will prevent knotting. It costs around $50 to $80. A parlor grooming will cost around $80 to $100 per visit.
- Toys and cat hygiene supplies: To keep them happy and entertained, invest in some toys; this might cost around $100 to $200. Cat hygiene supplies include brushes, shampoos, nail trimmers, vacuum cleaners, etc. It will cost around $200.
In short, the cost of owning a ragdoll cat can be summarized below:
WHY IS THERE A PRICE DIFFERENCE FOR RAGDOLL CATS?
Ragdolls are categorized in different ways.
The price depends upon whether the cat is pet quality, show quality, or breeder quality. If they are from high – titled breeding lines, the price varies from $800 to $2000.
These include show quality and breeders quality cats. They are generally purebred, and GCCF registered. Pet-quality ragdolls are cheaper when compared to them.
Breeding costs also affect ragdoll prices. The breed standard depends upon how many titles a cat has earned in cat shows. Such high-titled ragdoll cats cost more than a normal one.
The price also varies on different point colors on their coats. Seal, blue, chocolate, lilac, red, and cream are commonly found colors.
The uniqueness in the color mixing in their mitted or bi-colored coat also contributes to its price.
Can You Buy A Ragdoll Without Being Scammed?
It is easy to get lured into ragdoll scams. But you can dodge it off if you are cautious enough. Always remember that genuine breeders will not sell their kittens for low prices.
Because to bring out high-quality breeds, they invest a huge amount of money. So, do not fall for the deals offering kittens for low prices, free shipping charges, etc.
Most genuine breeders will have an authentic email, location, real address, contact details, and social media links.
If you smell a rat, do a quick background check online about your breeder’s authenticity. If you choose to trust an unknown breeder, it isn’t easy to ensure pet quality, and you could be easily scammed. 
Here are some tips to avoid scammers:
- Research about the breeder thoroughly before cutting a deal. Confirm your breeder’s authenticity by checking his address, location, website, and contact details.
- Please do not buy your kittens without seeing them first. If you are not able to visit directly, at least arrange a video call.
- Check if the cash payment system is foolproof before sending the money.
- Know your ragdoll cat breed standard before buying. Do not pay full price for kittens lacking ragdoll traits.
So get your ragdolls from a well-recognized, trusted breeder. Ask about its breeder’s quality and pedigree. Make sure you invest your money right. [Read this]
If you smell a rat, drop the deal.
Are Ragdoll cats worth the money?
Ragdoll cats might be a costly investment, but we can ensure that they are worth every bit of money. Having a price tag of almost $1500 under their name, you would expect a big bag of qualities from a cat. Let’s say a Ragdoll cat will not disappoint you in that respect.
Ragdoll cats are also called the “dogs of the cat world” for a reason. It is not only that they are an extremely good behaved cat breed; you can play with them, which are more convenient to dogs. Playing fetch is just one of those things that are unique to this breed of cat.
The Ragdoll cats are also a treat to look at and admire. Their immense size is something to reckon with- they can grow larger than the usual cat breeds, and Ragdoll cats require a larger space than the other cats.
Apart from that, you can even pay a bit extra to have a show-quality Ragdoll cat. These cats come with a pedigreed lineage and will perfectly express all the features. A show-quality Ragdoll cat will be even more friendly and loving.
If you ask me if you can spend the extra amount on a Ragdoll cat, you will be satisfied every bit.
Can Ragdoll Cat Price Be Different By State and Country?
The price of the Ragdoll cat depends on various factors, and the geological factors also contribute to the steep price of these amazing cat breeds.
You have to remember that Ragdoll cats are famous all around the globe. So, the demand for Ragdoll cats will be high everywhere you go.
However, the availability of reputed breeders is not uniform. As a result, there will be a discrepancy in the price tag of Ragdoll cats in different parts of the world.
Let us look at the following chart to have a better understanding of the price of Ragdoll cats.
Country Cost of Ragdoll Cats
United States $700-$2000
United Kingdom £600 (2300 USD)
New Zealand $900 NZD ( 600 USD)
China ¥50,000 ( 450 USD)
Australia AUD 2200 ( 1600 USD)
South Africa R1600 - R7000 (100-500 USD)
Egypt E£ 9,000 ( 600 USD)
In China, Ragdoll cats are extremely popular. According to statistics, there should be at least one cat in every household in China. Ragdoll cats even convey a status symbol in China.
Even if you go from one state to another in the United States, the price of Ragdoll cats will differ. It is mostly due to the ratio of demand to availability of these cats. If you look at the following table, it would be clear how different the prices can be:
State In The USA Price of Ragdoll Cats
Florida $600 - $1,600
Arizona $800 - $2000
Virginia $900 - $3000
New York $1500 - $2000
So, it is best if you go to the closest Ragdoll breeders you could find and enquire about the cost. In this way, you will also understand better whether you are going for the correct breeder.
How Much Does A Ragdoll Cat Cost In Australia?
Cats, in general, are very popular as pets in Australia. Every 1.4 households in Australia will have a cat as their pet. This high popularity of cats also makes Ragdolls one of the main attractions. If you are looking for a Ragdoll cat in Australia, it can easily cost you as much as 2200 AUD, which is equivalent to 1600 USD.
As the number of reputed breeders is also high to cope with the high demand, you would find a Ragdoll cat at a cost similar to that in the United States.
No matter how costly ragdolls are, they are worth the investment. Their extreme loyalty, intelligence, trainable & social skills make it ideal for our households.
This huge, cuddly furball will sway your minds at first sight. They are generally low maintenance, but you should take good care to maintain their living standards.
Chart down the expected expense before buying one and check if it is affordable; only then will your cat live a happy life with you.
- When do ragdoll cats stop growing?
- Can ragdoll cats scratch your furniture?
- Ways to entertain your ragdoll cat
- Types of ragdoll cats
Hi There, AJ Oren here. I am the founder of this amazing pet blog & a passionate writer who loves helping pet owners to learn more about their pets through my articles. I am also the content manager of this blog. I have experience in pet training and behavior, sheltering, and currently working for a veterinary clinic.