Cats are cute little creatures that come with an intense high-energy drive. Their quirky nature and peculiar behavioral traits make them excellent, entertaining members.
However, cats can be quite fussy when it comes down to litter and eating schedules. It is one of the reasons why a lot of people prefer having cats in their households.
So if you are a new cat parent or are considering switching to a new litter box – this article is for you. We have presented all the necessary pros and cons of owning a top-entry litter box. A list of litter boxes is below to make your job easier.
Top entry litter box pros and cons
Every type of litter box has its fair share of pros and cons. There is no perfect litter box that ticks it all green. So, learning about your cat and analyzing its behavior becomes crucial while buying a litter box.
If your cat is friendly and does not shy away from affection, you may experiment more with its litter box. But if your cat appreciates privacy and has difficulty trusting, we recommend choosing a covered litter box.
With the growing popularity of top-entry litter boxes, there is an increase in their availability in the market.
Many brands have come up with their versions, claiming various things. But to choose our ideal litter box, we must first understand the parameters one must consider when choosing the right top-entry litter boxes.
- It will contain odor and make cleaning seem easy.
- It does not occupy much space and is best for small homes.
- It solves the leakage issue that occurs with most litter boxes.
- And most importantly, it holds the litter well.
However, it is important to note that no matter how much you research the litter boxes before buying – they will have some cons.
Here are some of the top-entry litter boxes available on amazon to help you choose the best for your cat.
Vealind Foldable Cat Litter Box
Product link- https://a.co/d/57hHaD8
The litter box from Vealind comes with a front entry lid and has a top exit. It is super lightweight and perfect for moving around. It is convenient to clean, and the installation is easy. What’s more?
- It prevents the spilling of cat litter and reduces odor from spreading across the room—a perfect litter box for messy cats.
- Changing litter is very convenient.
- The cleaning process is easy.
- It is suitable for cats up to 15lbs.
- The top portion of the litter box comes with a storage section.
- It is lightweight and easy to move around.
- There are a few complaints regarding the assembly procedure. Some of the cat’s parents find it difficult to assemble.
- The litter box is comparatively more fragile than the other ones.
- In some cases, the litter might get stuck on the rubber seal.
PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Cat Litterbox
This litter box from PetSafe is one of the best available in the market. Its self-cleaning feature makes it a convenient choice and helps keep odor in check. A health monitor in the litter box keeps up with the number of times your cat uses it.
- The installation is easy and efficient.
- Cats tend to adjust to this litter box well.
- It is scoop-free to the point one has to change the litter manually.
- It has a self-cleaning feature, so no scooping or cleaning is involved.
- It controls odor and monitors leaking.
- The litter box has disposable trays and a plastic lining to help protect against leaking.
- The crystals do not stick to the cat’s paws.
- It lasts for a long time.
- You can only use it with crystal litter.
- The urine clumps often stick to the tray, causing the rake to jam.
- The price of the litter box is high.
- You may be putting your cat’s safety at stake.
- Not suitable for big cats as the tray is smaller than usual.
- The maintenance is high.
- Ideal if you have one cat but not good for a multiple-cat household.
Petmate Top Entry Litter Cat Litter Box
This litter box from Petmate, true to its name, has a top entry and comes with a filter lid that helps clean cat paws. The entry is wide and can accommodate large cats as well.
- There is minimal litter scattering on the floor, as the walls of this box are high.
- The top lid has a design that ensures proper cleaning of the paws.
- The material of the litter box is environmentally friendly.
- The wide top entry makes it easy to accommodate large cats.
- It has round edges that help with litter’s easy pouring and lifting.
- The product promotes privacy and encourages cats to have their space.
- It works great with all types of litter.
- The lid tends to bend when there is significant weight exposure.
- The bump at the bottom makes it difficult to scoop. The lid is loose, making it fussy for the cat’s movement.
Generic Foldable Anti Splashing Litter Box
The litter box has a foldable, anti-splashing feature that helps keep the odor in check. You can completely disassemble the litter box, making it more convenient, safer, and easier to clean.
- The installation steps are simple.
- It is easy to clean.
- The litter box comes with a lid and is foldable.
- It has adequate space to accommodate a cat and has a falling sand pedal.
- The drawer pulls out easily. There is no more trouble related to dust accumulation.
- The litter box is simple for owners but complex for cats. There are seams around the bottom.
- It is not leakproof.
NoraXneko Fully Enclosed Litter Box
Product link: https://a.co/d/2JuvTyf
This litter box from NoraXneko comes with a complete covering and is foldable. The design is easy and has a good storage capacity to hold some litter essentials.
- The litter box has excellent closure and is safe for cats.
- The installation is hassle-free.
- It has an adjustable drawer, making it easy to scoop out the litter.
- Owing to its compact size, it does not take up much space.
- An additional brownie point for the shovel is there in the package.
- Cleaning is easy and effective.
- The door is not sturdy and keeps opening.
- Many cat parents have complained about the litter box’s size. It is too small for the cat to be able to move freely.
- There are also spilling issues with some of them.
Do Cats Like Top Entry Litter Boxes?
Unlike dogs, cats do not need to go out in the wild to litter. They can do it indoors as well, making our jobs way easier. So investing in a good litter box is crucial to establishing a healthy, loving relationship with your cat.
Various kinds of litter boxes are available in the market and come in all sizes and shapes. Some cats prefer large, uncovered, and clean litter boxes. At the same time, the rest are like small, covered litter boxes that offer them privacy.
But do cats like top-entry litter boxes?
Yes. A lot of cats prefer top-entry litter boxes. These litter boxes help reduce the transfer of litter from the box to the floor and are the best way to control odor and track the place’s cleanliness. True to its name, a top-entry litter box only has a single opening at the top.
So why do cats like top-entry litter boxes?
Cats like top-entry litter boxes mainly because they offer privacy.
But it is important to understand that some cats are more particular about the kind of litter used than the structure of the box. The general rule is to keep top-entry litter boxes away from old, pregnant, overweight cats or even small kittens.
Litter boxes, as discussed earlier, are subjective, and the preferences vary from one cat to another. The litter box your cat chooses most of the time is the one it prefers. To understand what kind of litter box works best with your cat, we recommend giving it options.
Top-entry litter boxes are getting popular now, owing to their easy accessibility and handling. It is why you will find a lot of cat parents upgrading from traditional litter boxes to top-entry ones.
However, if you decide to get a new litter box for your cat, understand that not one shoe fits all. Your cat is unique and will have an individual choice.
Hi There, AJ Oren here. I am the founder of this amazing pet blog & a passionate writer who loves helping pet owners to learn more about their pets through my articles. I am also the content manager of this blog. I have experience in pet training and behavior, sheltering, and currently working for a veterinary clinic.
- 1 Top entry litter box pros and cons
- 2 Here are some of the top-entry litter boxes available on amazon to help you choose the best for your cat.
- 3 Do Cats Like Top Entry Litter Boxes?
- 4 But do cats like top-entry litter boxes?
- 5 So why do cats like top-entry litter boxes?