Cats are independent animals who like to do things of their free will. So can a cat eat chocolate ice cream? Yes, it can. But is it good for the cat’s health? No, not very much. Both chocolate and ice cream are inappropriate for a cat. The sugar and lactose in chocolate and ice cream, respectively, are toxic for cats and can be responsible for your cat’s sickness. Well, if your cat licks it once in a while, you don’t have to worry about poisoning your cat, but if it is in a constant habit of licking ice cream, then that has to stop.
Can cats eat chocolate ice cream?
Licking chocolate once in a while will not cause much harm to cats. But the cat’s system cannot digest the dairy product rich in sugar very well. Cats usually don’t like ice cream, nor have they ever voluntarily eaten chocolates. They do have some instincts of survival. But exceptions are always there. Cats generally cannot have chocolate ice cream because it is dangerous for their health. If you offer your cat to lick off some ice cream, you don’t have to worry about poisoning it. But you have to be careful that it does not become the cat’s habit, else it can be fatal to your cat.
Why should you not let your cat have chocolate ice cream?
It is not recommended to allow your cats to have chocolate ice cream. The reason is your cat can get really sick and might require emergency medical attention. While humans are fans of chocolate, cats and chocolates don’t go together quite well. Chocolates contain an organic compound called theobromine.
The mixture is an alkaloid, and if the cat consumes it, it starts having digestion problems that are not suitable for its system. Along with this, there are signs of diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach ache, and in the worst case, there can be seizures and can even end up being fatal. Hence, chocolate is a big no for cats.
When it comes to dairy products, ice cream being one, cats don’t take them very well. Contrary to what we have known, while cats love milk, it is not so very likely. Cats have reduced lactose, and any dairy product causes stomach upset in them. Kittens survive on milk for the first two months. But is it solely cat’s milk and must not be replaced with any other milk?
It can cause weight gain in cats as well. If your cat sustains the dangers of the harmful chemicals and overcomes all the problems, then too the excess stored and undigested sugar in the cats lead to overweight. Later this might cause acute diseases like joint pains, arthritis, and heart-related ailments. Along with this, cats sometimes suffer from brain freeze from eating icy things, ice cream, for example. A brain freeze is not harmful to cats, but it can give mild headaches, which can be very painful for some cats.
Thus we see that both chocolate and ice cream are individually harmful to cats in many ways as the digestive system cannot metabolize such toxic chemicals. And the combination of theobromine and lactose in ice cream might end up getting your cat dead if consumed at a highly alarming rate.
Can chocolate ice cream kill a cat?
Although chocolate ice cream is most unlikely to kill your cat, it can make your cat sick and unconscious for several hours. It contains various harmful products from chocolate and ice cream, including lactose, caffeine, and theobromine, all of which are harmful to cats. Baker’s quality dark chocolates are specifically detrimental to cats because they contain high amounts of cocoa and are toxic for the digestive system of cats. When consumed in large quantities, it can cause deaths amongst cats.
There are various signs of chocolate toxicity in cats. If you have seen any, you should immediately take your cat to the vet before the problem increases to fatal levels. Symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst and urine, loss of appetite, increased heart rate, restlessness, panting, tremors, seizure, and coma. You can also call the veterinarian immediately if your cat eats chocolate, as the symptoms may increase.
So it is strictly advised not to feed your cats chocolate ice creams. Also, if you don’t want your cat to sneak around and lick chocolate ice cream from leftovers, you must keep your eyes on your naughty cat.
How much will chocolate ice cream kill a cat?
Cats do not possess the required enzymes to digest chocolate ice cream as cats have a susceptible digestive system. Therefore it is advised never to give any chocolate ice cream to your cat. Also, please don’t allow them to lick off the leftovers. If you have a small cat or rather a kitten, even a tiny amount of the combination of theobromine, caffeine, and lactose can rapidly start showing toxic symptoms. Theobromine starts affecting the body at a very high rate, and even a small dose of 150 mg/kg of the cat’s body weight can reach fatality levels.
A few spoons of chocolate ice cream containing dark chocolate can be deadly for cats weighing up to 5kgs. It shows toxicity symptoms very quickly, beginning with vomiting, diarrhea, distress, and seizures. Consequently, it is best if you keep your cat away from chocolate ice cream as far as possible.
Will a few licks of chocolate ice cream hurt my cat?
As it is well known that chocolate ice cream contains harmful and indigestible ingredients by the cat’s digestive system, it is not suitable for cats to have it. But a few licks will most likely not kill the cat. But it can make the cat ill for a few hours. It is not safe for cats to have a little bit of ice cream. It can cause gas, stomach aches, diarrhea, distress after a few licks of lactose and theobromine. Your cat may be somewhat attracted to chocolate ice cream, but the fat and the harmful chemicals do no good to the cat.
Although sometimes the vet suggests that a few licks of the plain vanilla ice cream make your cat feel better. Vanilla is a taste that cats love, and also it has soothing and rehydrating effects. But that doesn’t mean that vanilla can be included in chocolate ice cream, and then the damage will be equal. No matter what, chocolate will cause side effects on your cat.
What happens if your cat licks chocolate ice cream?
If your cat licks chocolate ice cream, it will start having gastrointestinal problems. It will begin showing symptoms of distress and restlessness. Vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea will hit immediately. Then if not taken care of, loss of appetite and increased thirst will lead to gradual pain inside the body. Then finally, your cat will have a seizure, and the worst case will be it dies.
To avoid this situation, take the cat to the vet as soon as it shows the slightest symptoms, as mentioned above. Run all the required tests to solve and diagnose the problem and bring aid as quickly as possible. If your cat is passed out for a few minutes, you don’t need to worry. The medication will bring internal relief to the cat’s body, gaining consciousness quickly.
Many food alternatives keep away such worst-case scenarios. Much cat-friendly low lactose dairy formula is available if your cat is an ice cream fan and can’t stay away from it. Many food materials are harmful to cats, such as raisins, alcohol, onion, garlic, leeks, avocado, raw eggs, etc. You should keep them away from cats if you don’t want any fatal diseases in the future. Instead, it would help if you tried giving them foods like a small amount of tuna, cooked chicken or turkey, unseasoned rice, carrots, bananas, green beans, etc. all these are healthy for cats.
The best alternative to chocolate ice cream other than vanilla ice cream is catnip and broth frozen into an ice cube. Also, almond milk can be given to cats as it has zero lactose content and causes no harmful effects.
You must have a good observation of your pet cat. Don’t let your cat anywhere near chocolate ice cream or any other dairy product. Also, a curious cat can sneak out and go licking off to explore things around itself. So you need not think much if your pet cat is licking just a little bit of ice cream but see to it that it does not start liking the taste, and it becomes its habit. Just keep a note, if your cat goes licking food items and is out of the way showing some symptoms of concern, then it has licked leftovers without you knowing about it. The best option will then be to consider consulting a veterinarian.
Hi There, AJ Oren here. I am the founder of this amazing pet blog & a passionate writer who loves helping pet owners to learn more about their pets through my articles. I am also the content manager of this blog. I have experience in pet training and behavior, sheltering, and currently working for a veterinary clinic.